Sunday 5 June 2011

Format NTFS hard drive to FAT32?

When I turn my computer on I get a message saying We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. When I try to start Windows normally, my computer restarts itself and when I try to start in safe mode a bunch of multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)patron(1)\Windows messages fill up the screen. After I get those errors, a blue screen pops up for a second then the computer restarts itself. What I%26#039;m trying to do repair install windows by





1) Boot from CD


2) Select Start PC with CD ROM Support


3) Change to Optical Drive A:\%26gt;D: [Enter] where D: is optical drive


4) Change to Win98 directory (win9x for ME) D:\%26gt;CD\WIN98 [Enter]


5) Run Setup D:\WIN98%26gt;setup [Enter]





but after step 5 I get a message saying Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create a MS-DOS boot Patron to set up Windows. I was told I would have to format my hard drive to FAT32. Is this true? How would I go about doing that in Windows 98se with DOS commands? Would I be able to do this without loosing any data on my hard drive?|||You%26#039;re describing a failing hard drive. The boot sector is corrupted. You%26#039;d do better to put a new one in, install Windows on that and hook the old one up as a slave to recover the data. Formatting the drive from DOS will wipe it out.|||Windows 98 will not install on an NTFS partition. It has to have FAT32.





After step 2 I presume you have a DOS prompt? (a:\)





At that point you need to type fdisk which will allow you to delete the NTFS partition and create a new partition on your hard drive.





I would disagree that this indicates a failing hard drive. Your description of the issue looks more like a corrupt operating system and I am confident that you are heading in the right direction to solve your problem.





Hope this helps.|||Well, If you really have an NTFS HD, then 100% you will loose all all data in the drive as you need to Repartiotion your hardisk to be able to format it into Fat32.





You could partition your HD by using FDISK first then issue format...





and why are you still using Win98se?





Isn%26#039;t it too old. I think you should consider ubuntu linux.